Tuesday 6 August 2013

listen and love: Smallpools

For fans of: Grouplove; Two Door Cinema Club; Passion Pit; Vampire Weekend; MGMT

Before my holiday, I made a purchase a week prior to my trip and downloaded their debut selftitled EP after reading about it and streaming it on the Nylon music blog (one of my favourites for new and freakin awesome music (maybe I shouldn't be promoting a better blog on my own but really, if you don't already read it then you should)).

Let the truth be told: I did not stop listening from the second I downloaded until the moment I hopped off the plane back in foggy London town.

Think summer. Think pool parties. Think sunshine-drenched happiness. That's all what Smallpools, Los Angeles based soon-to-be-supergroup, encompasses in their shiny songs that you'd imagine yourself jumping up and down to and screaming the lyrics at a festival or an open-air gig.

The New Jersey and Oregon natives are certainly making a splash on the music scene. Within seven months they have connected, formed as a group, been signed to major label RCA, their debut single 'Dreaming' becoming the #1 track on Hype Machine, and began work on their forthcoming debut album. In the meantime, they've delighted their growing fanbase with an EP release to tie over the wait.

Each track is flows well into the next, as they are all ripe with feel-good lyrics and 80's synthesisers sure to send you into a sugar enduced coma. Their shouty vocals, layered with handclaps, make the songs some of the summer's most enjoyable tracks. The EP artwork is pretty cute and kooky too, complete with a sweet well-wishing message.


And if you like what you read and just want to hear more, more, more (which I would confidently predict that you would) then have a listen below and fall truly, madly, deeply in love with your new summer soundtrack.


No comments:

Post a Comment